PumpkinKnits

Monday, January 08, 2007

January 007

Stephanie and Margene thought up an "along" that I can actually commit to and one that gives me an excuse to use my snazzy new camera. So, I bring you my January installment of:


While we New Englanders are accustomed to the typical "January Thaw", the very warm weather we've had this winter has precluded any actual lasting freeze, so I don't think the 70 degree temps we saw on Saturday can count as a thaw. All I know is that my poor spring bulbs are mighty confused and I've been noticing more and more of them venturing out over the past weeks.

I remember reading somewhere that the cellular structure of the leaves of early spring bloomers like daffodils and crocuses are designed to survive the freeze and thaw cycles they are likely to encounter as they do their duty as the heralds of warmer weather. I just wonder how many cycles they can take, as these little guys are a couple months earlier than usual.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My bulbs are poking up, too. The poor things. I keep yelling, "retreat!"

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor bulbs, I hope they survive the "winter"!

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mine are demonstrating the same eagerness as well as the daylilies. They actually put up with quite a bit. While the tips of the daylilies leaves may suffer, the bulbs will be fine.

11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The weather is weird, even across the Atlantic. I haven't noticed any bulbs coming up yet, but I have noticed buds on some trees. After this winter, I don't know how anyone can possibly deny that there really is global warming.

2:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear, I haven't taken a look at my bulbs outside, but I surely hope that they are safely in their little underground homes.

Yikes...hard to believe isnt' it?

3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They usually survive just fine. Sometimes the tips get a little dry-burned. I read there is the equivalent of antifreeze in them. Odd.

8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're participating. Your January looks so very different from mine.

5:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The cherry trees on the (Rhode Island) campus where I work are all in bloom. It's totally disconcerting. I want to LOVE the blooming trees in May, not be weirded out by them in January!

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home