PumpkinKnits

Friday, January 05, 2007

No More Po-Mo

Hooray, I finished something! When I last put this down, there were probably only about a dozen more rows to knit, but I just wasn't in the mood while waiting to deliver, and finally picked it up again this week and just did it. (click photo to embiggen and really see the colors in this!)




Project Specs:
Pattern: Half-Pi Shawl from Rosie's Yarn Cellar - they seem to no longer have it for sale on their website, as the link I had for it is dead now. Odd.
Yarn: Handspun singles of "Black Magic" Polwarth/Mohair from The Spinning Bunny
Needles: #7
Notes: I was wanting to use up every last inch of this yarn so I could get all of the colors in there, and I pretty much did - I had maybe 2 yards left after bind off. This is decent sized shawl - it is 56 inches across and 28 deep, and the half circle shape sits nicely on the shoulders. I could probably get it bigger, but I only gently blocked it for fear of breaking some of the super thin spots in my uneven singles. I am really happy with how this came out, it is a very simple pattern (just strips of stockinette interspersed with rows of yarn overs) and lets the color changes be the thing that makes it an interesting piece, which is just what I had in mind.

All that is left on the needles now is a pair of Trekking socks that I started 2 days before I gave birth, and the sad and lonely Mariah sleeve that I started in October, knowing that odds were I wouldn't finish it. Despite all my rationalizations that it would not be stupid to start knitting a sweater while pregnant, reality has hit home. There is no way the size I chose will fit me in the forseeable future - I truly forgot just how well endowed I become when I am nursing an infant. Mariah will be frogged, and I will use her yarn to knit myself an Ariann, which I can knit big for me now, and should be a forgiving piece if when I thin out a little as time passes.

13 Comments:

Blogger Carole Knits said...

It must feel great to have the shawl finished. Congrats!

2:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that came out so well! It looks great! That pattern really ended up being perfect for the yarn.

2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The pattern works so well with the yarn! I really love the colors in the bottom half of the shawl, so deep and mysterious.

2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so impressed that you knit that shawl from your own handspun. It's stunning! The colors blend so well from one to the next, and it really emphasizes the shape of the shawl. Well done!

2:51 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Wow! The shawl is really fantastic. I love the colors. Nice nice!

3:04 PM  
Blogger Beth S. said...

That shawl is fabulous. And all the more wonderful because it's handspun! :-) The color transitions are beautiful.

I love the Ariann pattern and have plans for one of my own at some point. It'll certainly be a less taxing knit than Mariah--no cables to turn the wrong way when you're tired or distracted. ;-)

Hope all is well! Happy new year!

3:16 PM  
Blogger maryse said...

wow, that's a beautiful shawl. well done!

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, the yarn and the shawl could not be more perfectly suited to each other. It looks so wonderfully cozy, and I'm guessing it will fit you no matter what the state of your "endowment," if you will.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Wonderful shawl Erin! Perfect marriage of yarn and pattern and your handspun really makes it!

9:21 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Gorgeous! And it will fit whether or not you happen to be nursing.

2:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great shawl and with handspun too. Wow! Love how the colors present themselves. Nice warm knit to wrap oneself in, if it ever gets cold enough.

6:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That shawl is gorgeous! Stunning colours and beautiful spinning. You must be very proud.

8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yummy yummy colors :-)

6:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home