Thursday, February 03, 2011

A Tale of Two Sweaters

I completed two sweaters in the same weekend a little while back.

Sweater one I started this past fall. Hallett's Ledge from Twist Collective, knit in buttery soft pure cormo from the Martha's Vineyard Fiber Farm (now Juniper Moon Farm). I finished it in just a few months - pretty good for a lady who hasn't really been knitting much lately.

halletts - before

And that is as finished as you'll see it. Despite knitting, washing, blocking a swatch, this puppy ended up a good 3" smaller across the bust than expected. In all honesty, I had an inkling, especially once I knit the fronts, but this yarn blocks out so much, and I had swatched, for dog's sake. Sadly, a day after I seamed and blocked it, it hit the frog pond. The yarn is way to special to let it languish.

Halletts - after

Sweater number two began in a different decade from that which we occupy today. Despite having a speed-friendly gauge of 13st/4in and having no assembly required, it sat with maybe a day's worth of knitting and finishing left for over a year. It was one of those that I never even entered in Ravelry, or took one photgraph of. Alls well that ends well though, and I at least got one wearable sweater out of a weekend of finishing:


The pattern is Shalom Cardigan (Rav link), to which I added sleeves. All the yarn details are here on my Ravelry project page. I do love it though, it is soft and comfy and warm!

As if all of these sweaters are not exciting enough, there has also been spinning and a new sweater is in the making. Perhaps I'll save those for another post.


Blogger Carole Knits said...

At least the one that made it is orange! And it looks fabulous. Too bad you frogged the other one, I would have stolen it for Hannah!

3:11 PM  
Blogger Long Ridge Farm said...

Ouch! It looked like such a lovely sweater. oh~what words describe that ending?

3:15 PM  
Blogger knithound brooklyn said...

The orange sweater is lovely. I especially like that design with long sleeves. Is there enough of the cormo yarn to knit it again, larger?

3:34 PM  
Blogger Mini said...

the shalom is GORGEOUS! I never liked it for myself b/c of the whole shoulders-as-wings thing, but the longer sleeves make it very desirable...

So long white sweater, we barely knew ye...:)

4:52 PM  
Blogger tentenknits said...

wow go to so far and then to rip it out!! but you're right, yarn that beautiful needs to be in a fab knit. love the shalom! such a good color to brighten up this wintery drab!

9:41 AM  
Blogger Martita said...

So. Gorgeous. Love the pattern and the color!

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Susie said...

OMG. That made me physically ill. Such a lovely sweater, gone. Do you have enough to knit it again larger?

1:09 PM  
Blogger Seanna Lea said...

Your Shalom looks great. I have yarn set aside for one of my own. I expect the yarn will lay there waiting for me until fall though. I have too many projects!

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Timeshare said...

So cute I like the color.

10:48 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

What a cute sweater! I usually don't like orange but I would totally wear that:) You have a nice blog and great posts! Stop by my blog please:)

9:18 PM  
Blogger mummybear said...

Your Shalom is gorgeous. I LOVE the colour. I'm going to knit myself a long sleeved one too using some yarn I've spun.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Gabrielle said...

I absolutely love your blog! How beautiful you knitted the clothes... the ones for babies!!

1:50 PM  
Anonymous astros said...


11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home