PumpkinKnits

Thursday, February 03, 2011

A Tale of Two Sweaters

I completed two sweaters in the same weekend a little while back.

Sweater one I started this past fall. Hallett's Ledge from Twist Collective, knit in buttery soft pure cormo from the Martha's Vineyard Fiber Farm (now Juniper Moon Farm). I finished it in just a few months - pretty good for a lady who hasn't really been knitting much lately.

halletts - before

And that is as finished as you'll see it. Despite knitting, washing, blocking a swatch, this puppy ended up a good 3" smaller across the bust than expected. In all honesty, I had an inkling, especially once I knit the fronts, but this yarn blocks out so much, and I had swatched, for dog's sake. Sadly, a day after I seamed and blocked it, it hit the frog pond. The yarn is way to special to let it languish.

Halletts - after


Sweater number two began in a different decade from that which we occupy today. Despite having a speed-friendly gauge of 13st/4in and having no assembly required, it sat with maybe a day's worth of knitting and finishing left for over a year. It was one of those that I never even entered in Ravelry, or took one photgraph of. Alls well that ends well though, and I at least got one wearable sweater out of a weekend of finishing:

Shalom

The pattern is Shalom Cardigan (Rav link), to which I added sleeves. All the yarn details are here on my Ravelry project page. I do love it though, it is soft and comfy and warm!

As if all of these sweaters are not exciting enough, there has also been spinning and a new sweater is in the making. Perhaps I'll save those for another post.

12 Comments:

Blogger Carole Knits said...

At least the one that made it is orange! And it looks fabulous. Too bad you frogged the other one, I would have stolen it for Hannah!

3:11 PM  
Blogger Long Ridge Farm said...

Ouch! It looked like such a lovely sweater. oh~what words describe that ending?

3:15 PM  
Blogger knithound brooklyn said...

The orange sweater is lovely. I especially like that design with long sleeves. Is there enough of the cormo yarn to knit it again, larger?

3:34 PM  
Blogger Mini said...

the shalom is GORGEOUS! I never liked it for myself b/c of the whole shoulders-as-wings thing, but the longer sleeves make it very desirable...

So long white sweater, we barely knew ye...:)

4:52 PM  
Blogger margaux said...

wow go to so far and then to rip it out!! but you're right, yarn that beautiful needs to be in a fab knit. love the shalom! such a good color to brighten up this wintery drab!

9:41 AM  
Blogger Martha said...

So. Gorgeous. Love the pattern and the color!

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Susie said...

OMG. That made me physically ill. Such a lovely sweater, gone. Do you have enough to knit it again larger?

1:09 PM  
Blogger Seanna Lea said...

Your Shalom looks great. I have yarn set aside for one of my own. I expect the yarn will lay there waiting for me until fall though. I have too many projects!

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Timeshare said...

So cute I like the color.

10:48 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

What a cute sweater! I usually don't like orange but I would totally wear that:) You have a nice blog and great posts! Stop by my blog please:)

9:18 PM  
Blogger Little gamer said...

Your Shalom is gorgeous. I LOVE the colour. I'm going to knit myself a long sleeved one too using some yarn I've spun.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Alissa Josephine Hope said...

I absolutely love your blog! How beautiful you knitted the clothes... the ones for babies!!

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home