Sometimes when working on a project, I create mental worry stones for myself. With Rogue, my big worry has been the hem. The pattern has you knit about 12 rows on smaller needles either k1p1 rib or twisted stockinette (TS) , that will get folded to the back and sewn as a hem - this gives the bottom of the sweater and sleeves some weight, and it looks really good. I dutifully knit my hem in TS, and its been laying there, curling and silly looking as I continued knitting the body. It bothered me though - not the way I had knit it, or that it wouldn't look good, I was just bothered by the fact that I would have to sew it down and that I had some unanswered questions. Should I use the project yarn to sew it, or plain sewing thread, will it be a pain to keep the bias of the TS laying flat as I sew, etc etc. I just keep playing these questions in my head, thus creating a mental hurdle for myself that I just don't want to tackle.
So, when I completed the body to the shoulders, I came so close to just continuing to ignore the hem and saving my worry stone. I knew this would then cause a problem for me when it came to finishing the garment though, as by then I would have been worrying on this for far too long to JUST DO IT like I knew I had to. So, I bit the bullet and sewed my hem last night before casting on for the sleeves. I really didn't want to use yarn, as I thought that would be way too bulky and look pretty craptacular. Also, regular sewing thread seemed a bit flimsy to me. I was poking around and realized, hey, Husband-socks are pretty much the same color as this yarn, and they came with matching reinforcing thread, maybe that will work. TA-DA!
So I had my match (colors are a bit wonky in all of these - the Rogue yarn is seemingly impossible to get a true photo of). In no time, I hand-knit the hem, the TS biased around nicely and everything went perfect. Yay me!
And for posterity, here is me trying on for fit - perfect - gotta love the "magic" of actually swatching. (All of the dingly-danglies at the neck are the stitch holders holding the live stitches that will start the hood, and a handful of locking stitch markers that I used to mark my wraps on my short row wraps that are there)
I suppose I will come across a new worry stone for this project, most likely something to do with the hood. I plan to do both sleeves at once next, then tackle the hood.